Introducing America’s new icon: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!!
In case you’ve tuned out politically, we’re here to tell you to wake the fuck back up and get involved! That’s what this 28-year-old Latina did, and she just ran/won her first ever campaign in New York’s 14th congressional district on Tuesday!
Alexandria beat out 10-term incumbent Rep. Joe Crowley! Fight the political patriarchy, queen!
We can’t wait to see what’s in store for her political career!
1. The moment she realized she won Tuesday night’s election is EVERYTHING and exactly the reason we need more passion like this in this country. Watch (below):
This is the moment Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old Latina running her first campaign, discovered she had ousted 10-term incumbent Rep. Joe Crowley in New York’s 14th congressional district https://t.co/Q7namRbcEk pic.twitter.com/D4lzJZo1z3
— CNN (@CNN) June 27, 2018
2. This victory will likely make Alexandria the youngest person in Congress. Should she beat her Republican opponent in November, Ocasio will bring her progressive agenda to Washington. Here’s a copy of what she stands for:
Here’s the veru reasonable agenda @Ocasio2018 28 year old Democratic Socialist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won with, upsetting the incumbent Democrat in New York. Young women are changing politics, and it’s great. #SocDems pic.twitter.com/ixdo236lHw
— Peter Reid (@peterkinvara) June 27, 2018
3. She was born and raised in the Bronx, the daughter of working class Puerto Rican parents. She studied at Boston University and worked for Senator Ted Kennedy.
4. Alexandria worked in restaurants in order to support her family after her father’s passing. Last year, she was a bartender just trying to make a living.
This photo is from Nov. 14, 2017. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, 28, was then working as a bartender.
Less than a year later, she defeated the likely next Speaker of the House, and will almost certainly be the youngest woman ever elected to Congress pic.twitter.com/JgHjdQWAF6
— Jeff Stein (@JStein_WaPo) June 27, 2018
5. A day after he victory, Alexandria is finally getting press. She won despite the New York Times **never** covering her during the campaign. Boss.
We hope this inspires you to stand up and use your voice!!![Image via Instagram.]
This Dad Asked His Daughter To Explain Why She Told Teachers He Grew Weed, And Its Hard Not To Laugh12 Oct, 2018
I Drew A Series Of Silly Puns And Their Opposites07 Oct, 2018
Read This If Theres Someone You Cant Forgive19 Oct, 2018
Essential Guides For Not Screwing Up Face-To-Face Encounters17 Oct, 2018
Stefn Karl Stefnsson’s family posts Robbie Rotten makeup tutorial15 Oct, 2018
A ridiculous amount of sting rays spotted off a pier09 Oct, 2018
The Top Exercise Myths You’re Buying Into & Why They’re B.S. Betches07 Oct, 2018
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.